Assistive Listening Devices
Assistive listening devices, or ALDs, help people receive sounds and speech more clearly. Hearing technology has developed to the point where devices work through apps and cellphones using Bluetooth technology. As described by hearing experts, ALDs improve the speech-to-noise ratio, making it easier to hear and understand normal speech. These devices also help eliminate background noise.
There are several types of ALDs to choose from and one of our Audiologists at Northwest Hearing and Tinnitus will be happy to assist you in finding the right one for your specific needs:
- Personal amplifier: Helps pick up close sounds and sends them directly to the ear. These are used for close conversations when noise is a problem. Personal amplifiers are reasonably priced and readily available.
- FM radio system: For longer distances, an FM system might be the best choice for picking up clearer speech. The speaker wears a small microphone and the listener wears a receiving device to clearly hear the person talking.
- Infrared systems: Infrared signals carry sounds via light waves. This system is useful in private settings but is interrupted by walls and objects. Infrared is useful for watching TV where there is an uninterrupted path for the sound.
- Induction loop system: Telecoil or induction loop amplifying systems are great in both personal and public areas for robust sound transmission to ear level worn devices.
- Bluetooth: This is at the top of the technology chain today. Most modern devices connect with Bluetooth wirelessly for better hearing and streaming of audio content.
- Captioned Phones: Those with hearing loss qualify for a captioned phone at no cost. Designed exclusively for individuals with hearing loss, the Hamilton CapTel amplified phone works like any other phone however the Hamilton CapTel Phone allows you to listen while reading captions of what’s said to you – similar to captions on television.
Schedule a visit today to learn more about the ALDs offered by Northwest Hearing and Tinnitus. We will help you find the perfect solution for your specific needs so you can live your life RECONNECTED.